Working with Volunteers
The Organising Committee consists of volunteers who work towards organising the event.
- Who is a volunteer of Pride?
Any person who:
- agrees to work for the Pride Organising Committee
- makes themselves available to assist any of the commissions of the Organising Committee.
- is part of the marshal team and the Pride squad.
- Required Skills from Pride Volunteers
- A volunteer should have one of the following skills:
- Administrative skills.
- Political understanding
- Networking and communication skills.
- Organising skills.
- Pride shall endeavour to train volunteers in the above and other skills in cases where volunteers lack some of the necessary skills.
- Advantages of using volunteers
- Volunteers shall increase the capacity of Pride to undertake its task in organising Pride events as Pride does not have the resources to employ sufficient full time or part time staff.
- Volunteers will expand the pool of resources available to Pride to undertake its task in organising Pride events.
- The use of volunteers will mean direct involvement of people in lesbian and gay issues.
- Challenges to working with volunteers
- Volunteers will need co-ordination, follow up and supervision.
- The work of the volunteers of the Organising Committee will need to be assessed on an annual basis after the pride event.
- This will require clearly defined tasks as laid down in the job descriptions.
- Compensations of volunteers.
- Pride operates with limited resources.
- Volunteers will need to be acknowledged for their contribution towards Pride.
- Pride should pay for food and transport costs of volunteers where necessary.
- Volunteers for the event should receive compensation for their efforts by receiving free access to the Pride event.
- Through educational workshops and other events, Pride shall ensure that volunteers develop and acquire new skills where necessary.
- Areas of work for volunteers.
- The portfolios on the Organising Committee.
- Marshals for the event.
- Pride Squad members for the event.
- Assistants for press, Mardi Gras logistics and entertainment.
- Campaigns Pride shall embark on.
- Practical work in the Pride office.
- Networking and communication.
- How to get volunteers.
Pride shall advertise for volunteers in the press, lesbian and gay venues, newsletters and events.